Pages

Monday, October 26, 2015

Music Is Key

Okay, here’s the thing: I care deeply about music. 

Some people may agree with me here, and some people may not. It kind of just depends what kind of person you are. 

I trust that my love for music started at a very young age. This is because my father used to sing me to sleep. From when I was a newborn all the way up until I told him to stop. This was around kindergarten or first grade I believe. This may or may not have broken his heart. 

Either way, it made me appreciate really good music. Not the pop stuff that gets overplayed after four days, but the good stuff. At least in my opinion. 

Did my dad play this “good” music to me when I was little? Honestly, I don’t know. If you really want to get a taste of what he liked to sing to me, just listen to this. According to him, it was the first song he learned how to play on the guitar, and the first song he ever sang to me as a baby.

First of all, I believe there is a perfect playlist of songs to go to a certain mood. I also believe that music can cause memories to resurface. Whether these memories are happy or sad, a certain song can cause you to remember the feelings that you had in the past. 

For example, whenever I hear the song “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire, I have a memory from when I was around five years old, and my dad took me to see the movie Night at the Museum. That song played at the end of the movie, and, on our way home, it started playing on the radio. It was a weird coincidence, but my dad and I totally jammed out to it all the way through the song.

I also believe that music can make you cry. 

Not only have I witnessed this on live television shows, such as American Idol, but it has also happened to me. Quite recently actually. 

My favorite band released their album, and I was very “emo" about it. I listened to the whole album in one sitting, and my friends and I freaked out about it for an hour after it was released. We didn't care if we didn’t get sleep that night, we just needed this new music.

This particular album got me feelin’ some type of way, and I was very overwhelmed, and the tears came. At first they were excited/happy tears, but as I truly listened to the lyrics they got extremely deep and I lost it.

Picture this: a teenage girl at 11:30 PM sitting in her room with out any of the lights on, curled up in a ball on her bed with headphones in, and tears streaming down her face as she shook with excitement and sadness.

That was me! I know a bit pathetic but you get my point.

Next, I believe that the way you interpret music all depends on time and place. 

For example, if you just got broken up with, and you're feeling pretty down about it, you could hear a song that you know pretty well already, but you might relate to the lyrics more and it could make you burst into tears. You might also hear a happy song, and it could change your mood around completely. Although, if you heard these songs in a different setting, you would have a different reaction to them. 

Lastly, I believe that music is an escape. 

Whether this means that you are the person making the music, or if you are just a listener, it can be a small getaway from reality. Once you plug those headphones in to your ears and the music begins to drown out all of your worries outside of the music, you can feel like you are traveling away from your troubles and into a state of relaxation. Almost like a drug without health risks.

At least thats what music does for me. If you don’t feel the same way that’s just fine, but I thought I would share either way.

Anyway, carry on.
xx Em
Courtesy of Near Pictures (also how I look while listening to my tunes)

No comments:

Post a Comment